Absinthe! While mainly a tourist trap, is still a fun way to embrace this gothic, bohemian city. With Absinth shops tucked away in back corners and green little monsters enticing you to drink you can’t help but feeling like you’re back in the old days doing something forbidden (even though there’s nothing illegal about it). Ah the pleasures of tourist marketing!
Absinth, is a highly alcoholic, anise flavoured spirit derived from herbs that is normally diluted with sugar and water when consumed.
No longer laced with hallucinogens (don’t know if it ever really was) and legal again in most countries, you can find absinthe almost anywhere. Available in green and red varieties and produced by countless distillers, it doesn’t have the forbidden feel to it anymore, but more like a nostalgic trip back to Bohemian Europe.
As a result, merchants in search of luring tourists have come up with interesting ways of capitalizing on nostalgia through sweet treats. Cakes, custards, cocktails all infused with this mysterious green spirit being sold at exorbitant prices. I’m guilty. I was intrigued by one treat in particular…absinth ice cream. How could I possibly turn that down??
While not a traditional specialty of Prague or the Czech Republic. It was surprisingly delicious. Herbal and floral, not to sweet and incredibly refreshing. So here is my take on this refreshing, touristy treat…
Absinth Ice Cream
250 ml milk
500 ml heavy cream
130 g sugar
5 egg yolks
4 – 5 tbsp absinth
1. Heat milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan
2. Set up an icebath by filling a bowl with ice and water. Fill another bowl with cream
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and gradually pour some of the milk mixture in with the eggs and whisk constantly to temper.
4. Pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon
5. Strain custard into the bowl with the cream and set over the icebath.
6. Stir in absinth and add in a touch of green food colour if you want something a deeper green
7. Pour into ice cream machine and spin according to the manufacturers instructions.
Consume responsibly! Enjoy!